Beefy Bean And Braley Soup2016-04-06
- Yield : About 7 cups
- Servings : 6-8
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 1:30 h
- Ready In : 1:45 h
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat15
Serving Size:1 cup (10 oz., 280 g)
Beefy Bean and Barley Soup is a variation of Easy Bean and Barley Soup. This recipe takes only minutes to prepare after soaking the beans overnight. Soaking reduces cooking time and the oliosaccarides that can cause gas. Unlike most soup recipes, there is no need to sauté the onion unless you want the added flavor of caramelized onion.
All ingredients except salt, pepper and cheese are added to the pot, brought to a boil, and simmered for about 1.5 hours or until the beans and barley are tender. Pureeing some of the soup using a blender or stick blender is optional. The photo shows a bowl of soup without pureeing.
One serving of Easy Bean and Barley Soup has only 15 calories from fat per serving while providing 9 grams of fiber and 13 grains of protein. Many protein bars provide 10 grams of protein and a third of the fiber for about the same number of calories.
About Cooking Barley
Pearled barley is available regular and quick-cooking. Some regular varieties are tender and fully cooked in 1.5 to 2 hours without soaking. Others needs to soak a few hours in cold water to reduce cooking time.
If you know your barley is tender in about 1.5 hours of cooking, omit the presoak. Otherwise soak 2 to 3 hours to reduce cooking time so beans and barley are tender in about the same cooking time.
- 8 oz. (225 g) navy or other white beans
- 1/2 cup (90 g) pearled barley
- 4 cups (960 ml) beef broth
- 2 cups (480 ml) water
- 2-3 (170 g) carrots, finely chopped
- 1 (150 g) small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (150 g) medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) fresh Italian parsley, chopped or 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 small sprig of fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) dried ground rosemary
- Red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried thyme
- 1/4 cup (20 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt or to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Method of Preparation
Soak beans overnight in a pot or bowl cover by at least one inch of water. Replacing the soak water several times will reduce gas forming compounds. Soak barley, if required, 2 to 3 hours.
Add all ingredients except salt, pepper and cheese to a 4 qt/l pot. Bring water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally about 1.5 hours or until beans and barley are tender.
Stir in cheese until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.