High Protein & Fiber Turkey & Mushroom Tomato Sauce2022-08-02
- Yield : 13 cups
- Servings : 13
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 2:00 h
- Ready In : 2:50 h
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat75
Serving Size:1 cup (265 g)
Meatless tomato sauce is a healthy, low calorie, high nutrition food. One cup of tomato sauce has about 4 grams each of fiber and protein. By adding lean protein, this recipe increases the amount of fiber to 5 grams and protein to 24 grams.
This recipe makes about 13 cups of sauce. You can freeze leftover sauce in 1 to 2 serving containers. Use frozen tomato sauce within 4 months. You can also cut this recipe in half.
For a vegan sauce, use a vegan meat substitute for the turkey.
Use tomato sauce for crushed tomatoes.
Substitute dried chopped onions, and garlic power for fresh.
Recipes are a roadmap or guide. There is no one right or best recipe for tomato cause. Each batch can be slightly different by adding one or more of the following optional ingredients. After all, variety is the spice of life. Experiment and enjoy.
- Anise, ground
- Red pepper flakes
- Red wine
- 1-2 tablespoons (15-30 ml) olive oil
- 3 lbs. (1360 g) 93% lean ground turkey or chicken
- 8 oz. (225 g) white or brown mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) dry red wine (optional)
- 1/2 medium (200 g) onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 (10 ml) garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) kosher salt or to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2-28 oz (794 g) Canned crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 1-14.5 oz (411 g) Canned diced tomatoes (any variety)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons (5-10 ml) Italian seasoning or to taste
Method of Preparation
In a 6 qt/L pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté 2 to 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic during the last 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the ground turkey. Allow it to cook a few minutes before breaking it up to form larger chunks. Keep cooking and breaking up the turkey until there is little or no pink and you have the desired chuck size. stir in the red wine. Stir in the remaining dry ingredients.
Added the crushed and diced tomato. Stir to thoroughly combine. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce heal to low, cover and simmer about 2 hours stirring occasionally. Serve.