Creamy Pasta And Mushrooms2018-09-01
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 50m
Many fad diet plans eliminate white pasta for overweight and obese Americans. The rational is refined white pasta can cause blood glucose (sugar) spikes. That’s true if you eat a plate of pasta without sauce or any other foods.
This simple Creamy Pasta And Mushroom recipe provides 5 grams of fiber and 10 grams of protein per serving.
Although this recipe makes about six 9-ounce (245 g) servings, you can reduce the serving size and combine this recipe with other foods like meat protein, vegetables, and salad.
Americans are used to pasta with a salad, but many restaurants add complimentary, high calorie bread. To save calories, skip the bread and use the pasta as a starch.
Any variety and number of mushrooms can be used for this recipe. Mushrooms can be canned, dried, or fresh. When using dried mushrooms, substitute about 3 ounces (85 g) dry weight. Hydrate the mushrooms per the manufacturers recommendation.
If you do not have or like Marsala wine, you can substitute a dry white wine. For added flavor, substitute about 3 tablespoons (45 ml) white wine combined with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of brandy.
- 3 tablespoons (40 g) butter
- 2 tablespoons (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Small red onion (200 g) thinly sliced
- 6 oz (170 g) button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 oz (170 g) oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 6 oz (170 g) shiitake or chanterelle mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) flour
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Marsala or white wine
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) heavy cream
- 12 oz. (340 g) penne or other short pasta
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Fresh basil or parsley, chopped
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
Method of Preparation
In a large pot, bring about 1 gallon (4l) of water to a rolling boil and cook pasta until al dente per manufacturers directions.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-low heat melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the onion until caramelized. season with red pepper flakes if desired
Add mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Dust with flour and cook until all moisture from the mushrooms evaporates; about 5 minutes. Add Marsala and cook, stirring, until it evaporates.
Remove skillet from heat and stir in the cream. Return to low heat, stir in the Parmesan cheese, and cook stirring until sauce becomes creamy; 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste. Add drained pasta, and cook, stirring 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve.
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat150
Serving Size:About 8.5 oz. (245 g)