Easy Vegetarian White Bean Soup2016-03-14
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Course: Soup
- Skill Level: Easy
- Servings : 4-5
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 1:30 h
- Ready In : 1:45 h
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat8
Serving Size:About 11 oz. (310 g)
Easy Vegetarian White Bean Soup takes only minutes to prepare after soaking the beans overnight. Soaking reduces cooking time and the oliosaccarides that can cause gas. There is no need to sauté the onion unless you want the added flavor of caramelized onion.
All ingredients except salt and pepper are added to the pot, brought to a boil, and simmered for about 1.5 hours or until the beans are tender. Pureeing some of the soup using a blender or stick blender is also optional.
Easy Vegetarian White Bean Soup Without Parsley Garnish
One serving of Easy Vegetarian White Bean Soup has less than 10 calories of fat per serving while providing 14 grams of fiber and 12 grains of protein. Many protein bars providing 10 grams of protein have more calories and far less fiber.
Adding red pepper flakes for heat is optional.
Nutrition information is without Parmesan cheese. Add 20 calories, 1 gram of saturated fat and 2 grams of protein.
This recipe can be doubled.
- 1 cup (200 g) navy or other white beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (150 g) small onion, finely chopped
- 2 (125 g) carrots, sliced or finely chopped
- 2 (200 g) small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1-2 (5 g) cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups (960 ml) water
- Red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- 1.5 teaspoon (7.5 ml) kosher salt or to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (20 g) grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Method of Preparation
Soak beans overnight in a pot or bowl cover by at least one inch of water. Replacing the soak water several times will reduce gas forming compounds.
Add all ingredients except salt, pepper and cheese to a 4 qt/l pot. Bring water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally about 1.5 hours or until beans are tender.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in Parmesan cheese, if desired, until melted or serve on the side.