Gluten Free Gumbo2013-04-04
- Cuisine: American, Cajun
- Course: Entree
- Skill Level: Easy to Moderate
- Yield : About 3 quarts
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 50m
- Ready In : 1:10 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat60
Serving Size:3/4 cup rice and 12 oz. gumbo
Gumbos are usually thickened and flavored with an oil and wheat flour rue. The oil adds calories unless you skim it off prior to serving and flour is off limits for people with celiac disease. This recipe cuts calories by limiting the amount of oil to 1 tablespoon (15 ml) and replaces wheat flour with gluten free rice flour.
Chicken, shrimp and sausage are used for this recipe, but your can eliminate or substitute any of these ingredients based on your preferences.
- 3-4 (15 g) garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- Remaining Ingredients
- 1/2 cup (40 g) rice flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 3 oz. (85 g) andouille or kielbasa sausage, halve and slice about 1/8th inch thick
- 1 (200 g) medium onion, chopped
- 1 (200 g) medium green or red bell pepper
- 2 (135 g) celery ribs/stacks, sliced about 1/4 inch wide
- 4 cups (1000 ml) low sodium chicken broth
- 14.5 oz. (441 g) caned diced low sodium tomatoes
- 8 oz. (250 g) cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 lb. (500 g) medium raw shrimp with tails, remove tails
- 2 - 3 cups (420 g) fresh or frozen okra, sliced
- 2 cups (400 g) long grain white or brown rice
Method of Preparation
Combine seasonings in a small bowl.
Toast rice flour in a skillet over low to medium heat stirring constantly until light brown, about 5 to 10 minutes. Do not be disturbed or distracted during this step. It takes only seconds to burn the flour. If that happens, throw it out and start over.
In a 4-5 qt/L pan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat, add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and scrapping bottom of pan if necessary.
Add onion, bell pepper and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, about 6 to 8 minutes or until softened.
Stir in toasted flour and seasonings and cook about 1 minutes stirring constantly and scrapping bottom of pan if necessary.
Add broth. Stir and scrap bottom of pan to loosen any browned bits. Stir in diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, cook rice per manufactures recommend time.
Stir chicken and okra into vegetables. Cook about 5 minutes. Increase heat and bring gumbo to a boil. Stir in shrimp, cover and turn off heat. Poach shrimp 5 to 10 minutes or until cooked through.
To serve; mound or place about 3/4 cup of rice in each dish and surround or top with about 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) of gumbo.