Easy Pasta with Alfredo Sauce Recipe2014-08-29
- Servings : 4-6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 20m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat375
Serving Size:1/4th recipe
Alfredo sauce is one of the quickest and easiest pasta sauces to make at home and is served by virtually every Italian-American restaurant in America.
This Easy Pasta with Alfredo Sauce recipe takes about 20 minutes to prepare and cook. For best flavor use Parmigiano Reggiano and grate it yourself.
While Alfredo (cream sauce) is associated with Fettuccine in the United States, you can serve Alfredo sauce with any pasta; short, long or filled.
Like most foods served by Italian-American restaurants are Americanized versions, the Fettuccine Alfredo Americans are familiar with is a purely American invention.
Pasta with butter and cheese is closer to the original Italian Alfredo sauce.
Pasta Alfredo calories can quickly spiral out of control. Authentic Alfredo sauce made with heavy cream and a lot of cheese easily exceeds 1,000 calories without bread, salad or beverages.
- Add a pinch of ground nutmeg.
- Add up to 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 g) of fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dry thyme.
- 2 tbsps. (28 g) butter
- 2 tbsps. 30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup (60 g) Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 cup (240 g) heavy cream or whipping cream
- 2 tbsps. (28 g) fresh Basil, finely chopped (optional)
- 12 oz. (340 g) fettuccine, linguini, egg noodles, tortellini, or other long pasta
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) kosher salt for cooking pasta (optional)
Method of Preparation
Bring at least 3 qt/L of water to a rapid boil. Stir in salt, add pasta and cook pasta per package directions until al dente.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in butter followed by the cream. Bring to a low boil, stir in cheese until melted, reduce heat to low, and simmer about 5 minutes or until sauce thickens and coats a spoon.
Drain pasta and add to sauce or add to large bowl and add sauce. Add basil, toss to coat and serve immediately.