15 Minute 65-Calorie Cheese Sauce2016-03-24
- Yield : About 1 1/4 cups (300 ml)
- Servings : 5
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 15m
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat35
Serving Size:1/4 cup (60 ml)
15 Minute 65-Calorie Cheese Sauce is a easy, versatile recipe for quick homemade macaroni and cheese using white or yellow cheddar cheese, Alfredo sauce using Parmigiano Reggiano or other good quality parmesan cheese, or as a substitute for high calorie high fat Hollandaise sauce on vegetables or eggs.
Adjust the amount of corn starch or other thickener to make a thin, medium or thick sauce.
- Replace milk with water
- Replace water with milk
- Use 1 tbsp (15 ml) of all-purpose flour for each teaspoon of cornstarch.
- Use tapioca or arrowroot instead of cornstarch.
Use this simple sauce for creamy homemade macaroni and cheese. You can make the sauce while the pasta is cooking.
For mock Hollandaise, omit the cheese and add lemon juice. You can also add a tablespoon of butter for a richer flavor.
- Cheese is high in sodium, adjust the amount of salt to taste.
- For a peppery flavor, add ground white pepper.
- Add cayenne pepper or hot sauce for heat.
- 1/2 (120 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) 2% or whole milk
- 1-2 tsp. (5-10ml) corn starch
- 1/2 cup (56 g) shredded cheddar or other cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons (30-45 ml) fresh lemon juice (optional)
Method of Preparation
In a small sauce pan over low to medium heat, combine water, milk and cornstarch. Stir using a spoon or whisk to thoroughly dissolve the corn starch.
Stir constantly until mixture begins to thicken and coats your spoon or whisk. Stir in the cheese until melted and the sauce is smooth with a uniform color and consistency. If adding lemon juice, remove pan from heat and stir in the lemon juice.