Red Potato Salad Recipe2012-05-13
- Yield : About 4 lbs
- Servings : 12
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 6:00 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat75
Serving Size:About 1 cup (225 g)
Fresh, flavorful, Red Potato Salad Recipe with no artificial ingredients or preservatives and made only with firm red potatoes. You can substitute to combine white or Yukon gold potatoes in this recipe. Some prepared red potato salads have a combination of red and russet potatoes to reduce manufacturing costs. The package may say red potato salad, but the ingredients list will tell you if it is 100 percent red potatoes or not.
Cool, refreshing, potato salad is one of the most popular summer and picnics salads.
A one-cup serving (about 8 oz., 225g) of this salad recipe has about 220 calories, 1 gram of saturated fat, and less than half the sodium of packaged potato salads. Omit the egg yolks for a low saturated fat, low cholesterol potato salad.
- 3 lbs (1350 g) red potatoes about equal in size
- 3 or 4 hard boiled eggs sliced (optional)
- 1 or 2 carrot, shredded
- 2 celery stalks finely, chopped
- 1/2 cup (90 g) red, white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (240 ml) reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish or minced sweet pickles
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) celery seed, optional
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) sweet paprika plus more for garnishing (optional)
Method of Preparation
Place potatoes in a 4 to 6 quart/liter saucepan. Cover with water. On medium to high heat, bring water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced by a fork or knife.
Meanwhile, hard boil the eggs and prepare the remaining ingredients.
In a 4 quart serving dish, combine mayonnaise, mustard, relish, celery seed, salt, pepper, and paprika using a spoon until well combined.
Stir in onion, carrot and celery. Add sliced eggs if desired. Mixture can be refrigerated until ready to add potatoes.
When potatoes are cooked. Rinse in cold water until cool enough to handle. Remove any blemishes and if desired the skin. Cut into bite size pieces (about 3/4 inch). Add to mayonnaise mixture. Stir to coat the potatoes.
Garnish with paprika if desired and refrigerate at least 4 hours to chill potatoes and intensify flavor. Alternatively, salad can be eaten warm.