- Yield : About 8 cups
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 35m
- Ready In : 60m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat45
Serving Size:About 11 oz. (310g)
Lentils are high in fiber and protein and do not require presoaking before cooking. Lentil soup is simple and can be prepare and served dozens of ways.
Lentil soup is low calorie and high fiber. Lentils are one of the best sources of legume fiber and protein. An 11 ounce (about 1 1/3 cup, 300g) serving has about 200 calories and 12 grams of fiber. Serve with brown rice, barley or quinoa for complete protein and an additional 2 to 5 grams of fiber.
- For a creamier soup, puree about two cups in a blender or use an immersion blender pulsing until desired consistency.
- This recipe can be thick and stew-like or a thin soup. Adjust amount of water to vary thickness.
- Add 1/2 cup quick cooking barley during the last 15 minutes for an additional 2 grams of fiber per serving. Barley adds about 50 calories per serving.
Other Lentil Recipes
- 1 cup (200 g) brown or green lentils
- 5 cups (1200 ml) water
- 14.5 oz (411 g) canned low sodium chicken broth or increase water to 6.5 cups
- 1 (150-250 g) small to medium onion, diced
- 2 (150 g) carrots, diced
- 1 (150-200 g) medium tomato or 2 small Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1-2 stalks/ribs (120 g) celery, diced
- 2 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground anise (optional)
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoon (30-45 ml) flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh basil, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) dried
Method of Preparation
Rinse lentils. Check and remove any stones.
In a 4 to 6 qt (liter) pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery. Cook about 2 minutes stirring occasionally if necessary.
Add bay leaf and tomatoes. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper, thyme, oregano and anise. Stir and add lentils. Stir, cover pan, reduce heat to medium and cook about 8 minutes stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft.
Add water and broth and bring to a boil. Partially cover pan, reduce heat to low and simmer 30 to 40 minutes depending on the type of lentils until lentils are soft but still whole.
Cool about 10 minutes and serve.