Creamy Red Lentil & Tomato Soup2014-05-16
- Yield : About 8 cups
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 45m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat1
Serving Size:1 cup (240 ml)
Creamy Red Lentil & Tomato Soup combines high fiber and protein lentils with nutrient packed tomatoes. It is an easy, delicious, alternate to tomato soup.
One cup (240 ml) of Creamy Red Lentil & Tomato Soup has about 105 calories, 300 mg of sodium, and 5 grams of fiber.
- 1 cup (180 g) red lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups (960 ml) water
- 14.5 oz (411 g) low sodium diced tomatoes, undrained or 2 cups diced ripe tomatoes
- 2-3 (250 g) celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 (200 g) medium onion. chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, sliced or diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon (.6 ml) ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) Italian seasoning or oregano
Method of Preparation
Combine all ingredients in a 3 qt./l saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat stirring to assure lentils do not stick to pan. Reduce heat, cover pan leaving a slight opening, and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Use a stick blender to puree until smooth or puree in about 2 cups at a time in a blender. Always cover the blender and hold the cover in place using a dish cloth or towel to prevent burns.