Lentil and Bean Soup2015-04-06
- Cuisine: European, Italian
- Course: Pasta & Rice, Soup
- Skill Level: Easy
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 2:00 h
- Ready In : 2:15 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat70
Serving Size:About 12 oz. (350 g)
Lentils and beans are high in fiber and protein and low in fat and sodium. A 12 oz. (350 g) serving has 15 grams of fiber and 17 grams of protein. Sodium levels will vary depending on the type of bacon and broth used.
Omit the bacon and use vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup.
Adding pasta is optional. This recipe has less than 1 oz. (28 g) of pasta per serving. Allowing the soup to rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving will cause the pasta to swell as pictured below.
You can use any small pasta for this recipe.
This soup can be mild, medium, or spicy by decreasing or increasing the amount of red pepper flakes.
One serving has about 330 calories. Add crusty bread and a green salad for a hearty meal under 700 calories.
1 can kidney or other beans, rinsed, can be substituted for dry beans.
- 3/4 cup (150 g) dried red or white beans
- 6 cups (1.5) water
- 3/4 cup (150 g) brown lentils, rinsed
- 3 slices (90 g) smoked bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 large (300 g) onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 8 cups (2 l) low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.62 ml) dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried parsley or 1 tbsp. (15 ml) fresh
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.62 ml) ground anise
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) red pepper flakes
- 4 oz. (114 g) elbow or other small soup pasta
Method of Preparation
Soak beans over night. Drain and place in a medium sausepan with 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer one hour or until tender but firm. Drain and set aside.
Using the same pan. Sauté bacon, over medium high heat until browned. Add oil and onion sautéing until onion is soft stirring constantly and scrapping pan if necessary.
Add lentils and stir to coat. Add broth, carrot, and herbs. Stir and bring to a boil over high heat. reduce heat to low, cover pan and simmer 45 to 50 minutes or until lentils are tender.
If desired, stir in the pasta and cook per package directions until al dente. Turn off heat or remove pan from stove and allow soup to stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.