Beef and Turkey Meatballs2016-06-10
- Cuisine: European, Italian, Mediterranean
- Course: Entree, Pasta & Rice, Side Dish
- Skill Level: Easy to Moderate
- Yield : 34
- Servings : 34
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 45m
You can use Beef and Turkey Meatballs in any recipes calling for meatballs like spaghetti and meatballs, meatball sandwich and meatballs served with tomato or other sauce. Small meatballs (1/2 to 3/4 inch) are perfect in soups, as a pizza topping or served as an appetizer.
Replacing pork with 93% lean ground turkey cuts calories and saturated fat about 30 percent without sacrificing flavor or texture.
Omit baking step if meatballs will be added to tomato sauce. Simmering meatballs in tomato sauce completes the cooking process.
Pork or lamb for beef
Fresh breadcrumbs for panko
- 1 lb. (450 g) lean ground beef (80/20)
- 1 lb. (450 g) 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup (20 g) Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (50 g) panko-style great crumbs
- 1-2 tablespoons (15-30 ml) fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.625 ml) garlic powder
- 1/4 cup water if needed
- Vegetable oil for frying
Method of Preparation
In a large bowl, slightly beat the egg and stir in cheese, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt and spices. Add the beef and turkey and use one or both hands to thoroughly combine into a uniform mixture. Add a couple tablespoons of water if mixture seems dry.
Shape meat mixture into 1.5 to 2 inch large meatballs and/or 1/2 to 3/4 inch small meatballs and place on a baking sheet or large platter.
Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Heat about 1 inch of oil in a large skillet to 325F (160°C). Fry meatballs in batches about 2 minutes per side for small and 3 minutes per side for large turning once. Meatballs will be slightly browned.
Transfer fried meatballs to a clean baking sheet lined with paper towels. Bake large meatballs 15 to 20 minutes or until internal temperature at the center is 165 °F (74°C).
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat45
Serving Size:1 meatball (0.8oz., 24 g)