16 Calorie Tangy Spicy Mustard Dip, Dressing or Sauce2016-02-10
- Yield : About 1 cup
- Servings : 16
- Prep Time : 5m
- Ready In : 4:00 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat8
Serving Size:1 tbsp. (15 ml)
16 Calorie Tangy, Spicy Mustard Dip, Dressing or Sauce is a simple homemade recipe you can use as a:
- Substitute for tartar sauce for seafood
- Sandwich spread
- Dip for chips and vegetables including fried potatoes
- Thinned as a salad dressing
16 Calorie Tangy, Spicy Mustard Dip, Dressing or Sauce takes only minutes to make and tastes best after being refrigerated a few hours or overnight.
Reduced fat mayonnaise and non-fat yogurt cuts the number of calories per tablespoon by up to 50 percent compared to dips and sauces made with full fat mayonnaise or sour cream. One-quarter cup (4 tbsp) of dip made with full fat sour cream has about 125 calories vs. 64 calories for this recipe making it an excellent reduced calorie dip for vegetables.
Use this recipe as a starting point and adjust the seasoning, amount of mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard and seasonings to taste. There are no rules when it comes to making this recipe.
Substitutions and Additions
- Dijon or other mustard for brown mustard
- Cayenne or other peppers for heat
- Add thyme, rosemary or other herbs
- Substitute minced red or other onion for onion powder
- For salad dressing, thin with water or milk
- 1/4 cup (60 g) reduced fat mayonnaise
- 6 oz. (170 g) 0% fat Greek or natural yogurt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) prepared course brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) parsley or cilantro, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) dried dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.625 ml) garlic powder
Method of Preparation
In a small mixing bowl, stir mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard and vinegar until uniform in color. Stir in seasoning.
Cover and refrigerate overnight for best flavor. Use within 4 days.