Spicy Cauliflower Soup2014-02-28
- Yield : About 6 cups
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 35m
- Ready In : 50m
Spicy Cauliflower Soup is a delicious, light, spicy Indian-style soup that has less than 200 calories, 1 gram of saturated fat, and 260 mg of sodium per 12-oz. serving.
Spicy Cauliflower Soup also supplies 5 grams of fiber.
For variety substitute broccoli or a combination of cauliflower, broccoli, and other vegetables.
- Adjust spices to taste.
- For thinner soup increase broth buy 1/2 to 1 cup.
When pureeing hot soups in a blender, never fill the container more than 1/3 full, cover, and hold the cover down using a towel to prevent the lid coming off and soup splattering.
- 1 (350 g) russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 (450 g) small cauliflower, chopped
- 1 (175 g) small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable or olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) grated ginger root
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground white pepper
- 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) water
- 6 oz. (170 g) Greek or natural low fat yogurt
- Kosher salt to taste
Method of Preparation
In a heavy 4 to 6 qt/L saucepan add oil, water, potato, cauliflower and onion. On high heat, bring water to a boil, cover pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer about 10 minutes.
Stir in garlic, ginger and spices. Cook 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Add broth and salt (start with 1/2 teaspoon). Cover the pan, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
For creamy soup, use an immersion blender or blender to puree. When using a blender, puree about 2 cups at a time holding the lid down with a cloth or gloved hand to prevent splattering.
Stir in the yogurt. Add salt if desired and serve.
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat35g
Serving Size:12 oz. (340g)