230 Calorie High Protein Turkey & Mushroom Chili2017-08-22
- Servings : 9
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 2:00 h
- Ready In : 2:25 h
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat80
Serving Size:1 cup (260 g)
High Protein Turkey & Mushroom Chili provides almost as much protein as beef chili for 25% less calories and 40% less saturated fat. Low calorie mushrooms give this chili a meaty texture.
One cup of High Protein Turkey & Mushroom Chili provides twice the protein of protein bars for about the same number of calories and with no added sugar. Many protein bars have 4 to 5 teaspoons of added sugar.
- Adjust all seasoning to your taste. Chili can be mild or very hot.
- For thinner chili, add more water or broth. For thicker chili, simmer to desired consistency.
- Individual servings of chili can be frozen for 6 month or more. Thaw in your refrigerator or microwave oven.
- Chopping mushrooms in a food processor creates a finer texture that absorbs the liquid for easily.
- Color and texture will vary depending on how chili powder type and amount, and length of time cooked.
About Chili Powder
You can make chili using fresh chilis like Serrano, Hatch, or Jalapeño, ground chilis, or chili powder.
Ground chilis, like cayenne and New Mexico, is made using one type of chili pepper. Prepared chili powder can be made from one or more types of chili peppers and has additional ingredients like salt, proprietary spices, garlic powder, and silicone dioxide to prevent caking.
Chili powder and ground red chilis give chili its deep red color.
Experiment and use fresh and dried chilis that suite your taste.
- 24 oz. (700 g) 93% lean ground turkey
- 8 oz. (225 g) fresh mushroom, cleaned, trimmed & diced
- 1 (300 g) large onion, diced
- 1 (425 g) can low sodium kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (425 g) can low sodium black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (411 g) can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. (227 g) can no salt added tomato sauce
- 2 cups (480 ml) water or broth
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) ground chili peppers or chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) kosher salt
Method of Preparation
Heat oil in a 4 to 6 qt/L pot or Dutch Oven and over medium heat and sauté oils until tender, about 5 minutes. Add turkey and sauté while breaking it up into bite size pieces. Stir in mushroom and cook stirring about 2 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover leavening a slight gap, reduce heat to low and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours stirring occasionally. Taste about half way during the cooking and adjust seasoning to taste.