30 Minute Chicken Soup2017-03-29
- Yield : About 8 cups
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 30m
30 Minute Chicken Soup is a tasty alternative to high sodium canned chicken soups that can be more broth than vegetables and chicken. You can make it with or without noodles or rice. Omitting the noodles and rice reduces cooking time and total carbohydrates.
The flavor comes from herbs and, if desired, fresh lemon juice instead of salt. Many canned soups add potassium chloride, a salt substitute, to make their soups appear healthier. This recipe can be low sodium (140 mg per serving or less) by using low sodium chicken broth and limiting the amount of added salt.
- Fresh onion for dried onion. Sauté in hot oil 2 to 4 minutes to soften.
- Raw chicken for cooked chicken. Sauté in hot oil until almost cooked through.
- Fresh garlic and thyme for dried herbs.
- Reduced sodium chicken base for chicken broth.
- Sliced Celery (2 or 3 ribs). Add with carrots.
Chicken base is a convient and economical way of making homemade chicken soup or broth. You can use as little or as mush as you like. Chicken base must be refrigerated after opening. When using chicken base in this recipe, add the cold base to the water and stir to dissolve.
Organic, Reduced Sodium Chicken Base
Rest Soup To Absorb Broth
Orzo and other pastas continue to absorb liquid after cooked to the al dente stage nearly doubling in size. The following photos show the effect of resting 10 to 15 minutes after the pasta and rice are cooked.
Served Immediately After Cooking
Orzo After Resting About 15 minutes
Noodles After Resting About 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh garlic, minced or 1/8th tsp. garlic powder
- 4 to 6 tablespoons (60-90 ml) dried diced onion or 1 (250 g) fresh onion, diced
- 2 to 3 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups (1440 ml) low sodium chicken broth
- 3 to 4 oz. (85-112 g) egg noodle, orzo, or other small pasta
- 2 to 3 inches (5 to 7 cm) fresh rosemary or 1/8 tsp. dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice (optional)
Method of Preparation
In a 5 to 6 qt/l pan or Dutch oven, heat oil and broth over medium heat. Stir in dried onion, garlic, carrots and thyme. Add the bay leaves, chicken and rosemary. Stir, increase heat to high, cover, and bring to a boil.
Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in noodles or rice. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 8 to 12 minutes for pasta and 12 to 20 minutes for rice or until al dente.
Add salt and pepper if needed. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Stir in lemon juice if desired. Serve immediately, or cover and let the soup rest 10 to 15 minutes.
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat45
Serving Size:1 cup (240 ml)