Lean Hot Italian Sausage2012-06-08
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Course: Breakfast, Entree, Pasta & Rice
- Skill Level: Easy to Moderate
- Yield : About 6 lbs (2.7 Kg)
- Servings : 48
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 30m
Use this recipe to make bulk, breakfast patty or extra-lean link sausage. For link sausage natural or manmade casings and a sausage stuffing machine are required. Kitchenaid stand mixers have an optional sausage stuffing attachment. Bulk sausage can be used to make tomato sauce, meatloaf, chili and dozens of other recipes. Each 2 ounce serving (56g) has about 160 mg of sodium compared to 400 to 800 mg for commercially prepared sausage.
Nutritional information is based on using lean fresh or ground pork with 20 percent fat. Using extra lean pork will reduce the number of calories but produce a drier sausage. Pork sausage available in stores is 25 to 30 percent fat.
Homemade sausage is best when used within 6 months but can be frozen for up to one year.
To cook link sausage and retain moisture, boil or cook them in a pan with with about 1/4 inch of water until internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C) and then give them a quick sear in a hot skillet.
- 6 lbs (2700 g) 80 percent lean ground pork
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Kosher salt or 1 tablespoon (30ml) table salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) whole anise or fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) anise flavored liquor
- 1/5 teaspoon (2.5 ml) allspice
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
Method of Preparation
Place pork in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Using your hands, mix until well combined.
Shape sausage into patties or 1 lb. (453g) rolls. Wrap sausage in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil.
Using a permanent marker, label the aluminum foil with the type of sausage (hot or mild), weight and date.
Refrigerate and use within 2 days or freeze.
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat100
Serving Size2 oz (56g)