Baked Chicken with Italian Sausage Stuffing2012-10-01
- Servings : 7-8
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 2:15 h
- Ready In : 2:30 h
Stuffed fowl has been an Italian favorite since ancient Rome. You can make and cook this stuffing separately, or use it to stuff chicken, turkey, duck, or goose. This recipe makes about 7 cups of stuffing enough for 2 chickens or a small turkey. Double the recipe for a large turkey.
Baked Chicken with Italian Sausage Stuffing is a flavorful alternative to traditional American bread stuffings. You can use hot or sweet Italian sausage. Lean homemade sausage reduces saturated fat and sodium. Links to sausage recipes are provided below.
Chicken baked with potatoes and carrots is a popular southern Italian recipe. You can baked the chicken with or without stuffing.
Use a kitchen thermometer or your ovens probe to assure the chicken is fully cooked. The thigh must be at least 175°F and the stuffing 165°F.
Nutrition information is based on using lean homemade sausage.
- Remove the cover from chicken during the final 15 to 20 minutes to brown the skin.
- Stuffing can be baked separately or cooked in your microwave oven. Bake, covered 30 to 40 minutes at 350°F or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- 4-5 lb (1800-2250 g) whole chicken
- 1/2 lb. (225 g) lean hot or sweet Italian sausage
- 1/4 lb. (115 g) lean ground beef
- 4-5 slices (125-150 g) French or Italian bread
- 1 (150 g) small onion, diced
- 2-3 (125 g) celery ribs, diced
- 3-4 Tablespoons (45-60 ml) fresh Italian parsley, minced
- 3-4 Tablespoons (45-60 ml) fresh basil, minced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Romano or Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups (350 ml) dry white wine or water
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- For Stuffed Chicken with Carrots and Potatoes
- 3 (900 g) large russet potatoes, pealed and quartered
- 8 oz. (225 g) carrots, peeled and cut about 3-inch long
Method of Preparation
Clean chicken removing neck and other parts within the cavity. The liver can be chopped and added to the stuffing if desired. Rinse with cold water and place in a medium to large baking dish or pan.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Sauté onion and celery 2 to 3 minutes. Add ground beef and sausage and sauté 2 to 4 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Add the parsley, basil and garlic and sauté 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce heat if necessary. Season to taste. Remove from heat.
Soak bread in water and squeeze out excess water. Combine bread, eggs and cheese in a medium bowl. Add to meat mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
Stuff chicken. Add carrots and potatoes if desired. Add wine or water. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Cover and bake 2 to 2.5 hours or until internal temperature using a kitchen thermometer or an oven probe at the thickest part of the thigh reads 175°F (80°C). Baste every ½ hour if desired.
Remove from oven, rest 10 to 15 minutes and serve.
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat150
Serving Size4 oz. (85g) chicken and 1 cup (110g) stuffing