40 Calorie Hot Italian Turkey Sausage2015-01-12
- Yield : About 3 lbs.
- Servings : 17
- Prep Time : 15m
- Ready In : 15m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat56
Serving Size:3 oz. (85 g)
40 Calorie per Ounce Lean Hot Italian Turkey Sausage replaces ground pork with 97% lean ground turkey reducing calories and saturated fat by up to 50 percent.
A 3 ounce (85 g) patty breakfast sausage has only 110 calories and 2 grams of saturated fat. It also has 50 percent less sodium than a 2 ounce serving of prepared pork sausage.
Due to the lean nature of ground turkey, turkey sausage does not have the same firm texture of pork sausage when prepared. But you can still easily form turkey sausage into patties for breakfast sausage.
Making Breakfast Turkey Sausage Patties
- Form sausage into 2 to 3 ounce balls.
- Place a ball between two sheets or a folded sheet of waxed paper.
- Use your fingers to form a flat surface, then press using a flat meat tenderizer or your fingers to the desired thickness.
- Stack and freeze the formed patties, using the wax paper as separators.
- Wrap tightly in aluminum foil or place patties in a sealed freezer bag to prevent freezer burn.
You can also form the sausage into 8 to 16 ounce logs, wrap each log in plastic wrap, and aluminum foil and freeze until needed. Properly wrapped sausage will keep 6 months or more.
Note: Calories per ounce and for 3 ounces varies slightly due to rounding.
- 3 lbs. (1350 g) 97 percent lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) whole anise or fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) allspice
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons 30 ml) Anisette or other anise flavored liqueur
- 1/2 cup (60 ml) water
Method of Preparation
Add all ingredients to a large bowl. Use you hands to thoroughly work the herbs, spices, and liquid into the turkey. Shape as desired.
Store, tightly covered in a refrigerator up to 2 days or freeze up to six months.