Vegetarian Minestrone Soup2012-11-15
- Servings : 7
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 60m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat12
Serving SizeAbout 16 oz (450g)
Minestrone soups are high in fiber and protein compared to total calories. A hearty 16-ounce serving has 11 grams of fiber and 10 grams of protein for about 205 calories. Many protein bars providing 10 grams of protein pack 200 calories in less than 2-ounces. Protein bars also provide 3 to 4 teaspoons of sugar. In many respects they should be labeled high protein candy bars.
Vegetarian Minestrone Soup recipe is packed with heart health beans and vegetables unlike canned soups that are more broth then vegetables. Canned soups may seem like a bargain until you realize you are paying for water.
Canned Minestrone Soup
Filtered Water Is The First Ingredient
- Any seasonal vegetables can be used to make minestrone soup.
- To further reduce sodium, substitute low sodium canned or cooked dry beans. About 2 cups of cooked beans equals 1 can of beans.
- 15 oz (425 g) Low Sodium canned garbanzo beans
- 15 oz (425 g) Low Sodium canned kidney or lima beans
- 1 (175 g) small to medium onion or leek, diced
- 1 -2 (75-150 g) carrots, peeled and sliced thin or diced
- 1-2 (75-100 g) celery stacks (ribs) sliced or diced
- 1 (200 g) small green, red, yellow or orange bell pepper diced
- 1 (200 g) medium zucchini or yellow squash, diced
- 14.5 oz (411 g) can low sodium stewed or diced tomatoes
- 4 cups (1000 ml) water or low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup (60-120 ml) dry white wine (optional)
- 1 fresh or dry bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Kosher salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon (1-2.5 ml) red pepper flakes
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried thyme
Method of Preparation
Combine all ingredients in a 6 quart (liter) pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover pot, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender stirring occasionally.