Spicy Southwestern Coleslaw2014-06-06
- Yield : About 6 cups
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 20m
- Ready In : 2:00 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat95
Serving Size:about 1 cup (130 g)
Spicy Southwestern Coleslaw is a simple, creamy, spicy coleslaw with a southwestern flavor you can serve as a side salad, use for fish tacos, fish and chicken sandwiches, BBQ meats and sandwiches.
Adjust heat to taste by increasing or decreasing amount of jalapeño pepper or substituting Serrano or other hot peppers.
You can also use this coleslaw dressing as a spicy salad dressing, dip for potato or corn chips, or condiment for fried, broiled, or grilled fish.
The dressing has no added sugar compared to bottled cole dressings that have about 1 teaspoon of sugar per tablespoon of dressing. In the U.S., the sugar comes from high fructose corn syrup.
Using a food processor to cut the cabbage and onion, and to make the dressing reduces prep time by more than 50 percent.
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken, Beef or Pork
- 1 lb. (450 g) cabbage, cored, rinsed and shredded
- 1/4 (100 g) red onion, shredded or thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup (240 ml) reduced fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 (7 g) jalapeño pepper or 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) celery seed
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.625 ml) ground black pepper
- 2 to 4 tablespoons (60 ml) fresh cilantro, minced
Method of Preparation
Use a knife or food processor to shred the cabbage and onion.
Combine remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Fold in cabbage and onion until completely coated.
Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight to intensify flavors.