Red Beans and Rice Recipe2014-03-28
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 60m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat50
Serving Size:13 oz. (365 g)
Red Beans and Rice is a simple, spicy Creole recipe.
The combination of beans and rice is a source of complete protein even if you omit the ham and sausage for a vegan version.
One 13 ounce serving of Red Beans and Rice has about 350 calories, 8 grams of fiber, and 19 grams of protein.
Converted rice produces firm, separate grains of rice, but you can use any type of rice for this recipe. You can even substitute orzo or quinoa for the rice.
Just the amount of black, white, and cayenne peppers to taste. Adjust the amount of hot sauce to taste.
2 cups of cooked kidney beans can be substituted for canned kidney beans. For 2 cups of cooked kidney beans use about 4 oz. (115 g, 5/8 cup) dried beans.
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 3 oz. (85 g) Andouille sausage
- 1 (150 g) green or red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (150 g) small onion (white, yellow, red or combination), diced
- 2 stalks (140 g) celery, diced
- 4 oz. (115 g) smoked ham
- 15 oz. (430 g) canned low sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (240 ml) low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) dry white wine
- 3/4 cup (150 g) brown or white rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) hot sauce (Tabasco or another brand)
Method of Preparation
Cut sausage and ham into bite size pieces. Heat oil in a 3 to 4 qt/L saucepan over medium heat. Add sausage and ham. Sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until browned. Add onion, celery and bell peppers. Cook stirring about 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables soften. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in beans, seasoning mixture, wine, and broth. Simmer, stirring occasionally 20 to 30 minutes..
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan bring 6 cups of water to a rolling boil. Add rice, reduce heat to medium and cook 15 to 18 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cool water.
Remove bay leaves from bean mixture. Place ½ cup of rice in the center of a plate or bowl. Spoon bean mixture around the rice.