Hearty Italian Soup2013-07-27
- Yield : About 3 quarts
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 50m
- Ready In : 1:20 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat85
Serving SizeAbout 18 oz. (515g)
Hearty Italian Soup is a tomato based soup providing about 370 calories and 10 grams of fiber per 18 oz. (515 g) serving.
Using low sodium canned tomatoes and beans and limiting the amount of added salt makes a soup with about 440 mg of sodium per serving. That’s a fraction of the sodium in many 8-oz. (1 cup) servings of canned soup. Tomatoes and other vegetables are a good source of potassium further limiting the affect of sodium.
For a vegetarian soup, omit the meat.
Nutrition information is based on 93 percent lean turkey and topped with 1 teaspoon of cheese.
For a thinner soup, use 5 cups of water.
- 1 lb. (450 g) lean ground turkey or lean beef
- 1 (300 g) medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 - 14.5 oz. (411 g) cans low sodium stewed or diced tomatoes
- 1 8-oz. (226 g) can low sodium tomato sauce
- 4 cups (950 ml) cold water
- 2 or 3 (10 g ) garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried basil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 15-oz. (425 g) canned low sodium kidney beans, drained
- 1 15-oz. (425 g) canned low sodium green beans, drained
- 1 (100 g) carrot , sliced or chopped
- 1 (175 g) red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (150 g) small zucchini, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 oz. (115 g) elbow macaroni or other small pasta
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
Method of Preparation
Heat oil in a 6 qt/L pan or Dutch oven over medium heat and sauté onion 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add turkey or beef and sauté or medium high heat until browned or slightly pink.
Stir in tomatoes, sauce, water, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
Stir in kidney bean, green beans, carrot, bell pepper and zucchini. Simmer 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
Increase heat to medium-high, bring soup to a boil, stir in pasta and cook 10 to 12 minutes stirring occasionally until pasta is al dente.
Turn off heat, cover pan and rest 10 minutes. Pasta will swell and absorb most of the liquid.
Serve sprinkled with cheese if desired.