Chicken & Shrimp File Gumbo2013-04-03
- Servings : 5
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 1:20 h
- Ready In : 1:40 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat108
Serving Size1 cup rice, 13-oz (380g) gumbo
Gumbo is a Cajun soup or stew you can make dozens of different ways. Gumbos are usually made using chicken or seafood, but you can omit the meat for a vegetarian gumbo.
Many gumbos start with a rue, a mixture of cooked flour and oil, for flavor and thickening. This easy recipe uses gumbo file (ground sassafras leaves) to flavor and thicken the gumbo.
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) paprika
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) ground dry thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) oregano
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) garlic, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons (30-45ml) gumbo file
- Remaining Ingredients
- 3 oz. (81g) andouille sausage, halved and sliced thin
- 2-3 celery stacks, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 8 oz (183g) canned low sodium tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (120ml) water
- 4 cups (1000ml) low sodium chicken stock
- 8 oz. (225g) cooked chicken breast, diced
- 1 lb. (450g) medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) long grain white or brown rice
Method of Preparation
In a large sauce pan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat and cook andouille until lightly browned.
Add onion, celery and pepper and cook stirring frequently until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add spices and cook 2 to 3 minutes, scrapping bottom of pan in necessary.
Add tomato sauce. Pour water into can and swish to thin remaining sauce in can. Add to pan
Add chicken broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 50 to 60 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, cook rice per package directions or in 2 quarts of rapidly boiling water. Drain.
Add chicken and shrimp to pan, cover, and poach shrimp 5 to 10 minutes or until cooked through.
To serve, mound about 1 cup of rice in the center of the dish and surround with gumbo.