Zuppa Inglese (Italian Trifle)2012-11-29
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Course: Dessert
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Yield : One 5x9 Trifle
- Servings : 7
- Prep Time : 40m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 3:00 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat54
Serving Size:4 oz (113g)
Zuppa Inglese (Italian Trifle) literally translated means English soup. It is an Italian desert similar to Tiramisu that is neither a soup nor English.
Zuppa Inglese is based on the English Trifle and predates Tiramisu. It is an easier, lower calorie alternative to Tiramisu. Custard replaces high calorie mascarpone cheese.
- 2 cups (480 ml) whole or 2% milk, cold
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure lemon extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup (70 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (70 g) all purpose or rice flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (20 ml) corn starch
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) butter or margarine
- 7 oz (150 g) lady fingers (about 18)
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) brandy or amaretto
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) espresso or double strength coffee
- Slivered toasted almonds or chopped nuts to garnish (optional)
- 1/2 oz. (14 g) Unsweetened or semisweet baking chocolate (optional)
Method of Preparation
In a heavy bottom, 2 qt/L pan, whisk the egg and gradually add the sugar. Stir in the flour and cornstarch. Add the milk and whisk until combined and there are no lumps. You can use a hand mixer for this step.
Place pan over medium heat and whisk constantly until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in butter and lemon extract. Cover pan and cool custard to room temperature.
Meanwhile prepare the espresso or coffee. Combine espresso and brandy in a dish large enough to soak the ladyfingers. Cool to room temperature.
Dip the top and bottom of each ladyfinger into the coffee mixture and add a layer of ladyfingers to the pan trimming if necessary. Cover with cooled custard. Grate chocolate over pudding if desired. Repeat with second and third layers ending with pudding. Top with grated chocolate or chopped nuts.
Cover and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or overnight. For easier slicing, freeze trifle for 1 to 2 hours prior to serving.