Stuffed Mushrooms Florentine2013-11-04
- Cuisine: American, European, Mediterranean
- Course: Appetizer, Breakfast, Side Dish
- Skill Level: Easy
- Yield : 8
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 5m
- Ready In : 25m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat65
Serving Size:2 mushrooms without extra cheese
Stuffed Mushrooms Florentine is low calorie, gluten-free, recipe that you can make using fresh or leftover spinach.
It has between 90 and 115 calories and 100 to 120 mg of sodium per serving. Use a food processor to reduce prep time. Enjoy these mushroom for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
You can mix Parmesan or Romano cheese into the stuffing, broil the mushroom and then top with shredded cheese if desired.
Toasting Pine Nuts
Pine nuts can be toasted in a 350°F to 375°F preheated oven 5 to 10 minutes, a toaster oven set on bake at 325°F to 350°F for 3 to 5, or in a skillet over low to medium heat about 3 minutes. Actual toasting time will vary. Stir often to prevent burning.
- 8 medium to large mushrooms
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup (60 g) cooked spinach, drained
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh basil, chopped
- Pinch garlic powder or 1 clove fresh garlic, chopped
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 oz. (28 g) Swiss, Jarlsberg, Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese, shredded plus additional cheese for topping (optional)
Method of Preparation
Place oven rack about 6 inches (15 cm) from broiling element. Set oven on broil or use a toaster oven.
Rinse mushrooms under cold water or wipe clean using damp paper towels. Remove stems, trim off the tough ends and mince stems. Brush or dip mushroom caps in olive oil and place cavity side up on a small baking sheet or pizza pan.
Coarsely chop spinach. combine all ingredients except Parmesan and Swiss cheeses in a medium bowl.
Stuff each mushroom with a heaping tablespoon of the spinach mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Broil about 5 minutes or until cheese melts and is bubbly. If desired, top with shredded cheese and broil 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts.