Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup2013-12-30
- Cuisine: European, Italian, Mediterranean
- Course: Soup
- Skill Level: Easy
- Yield : About 12 cups (3 l)
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 5:20 h
- Ready In : 5:40 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat13
Serving Size:About 1.5 cups (310g)
Slow cookers are great for people with limited cooking experience or limited time. In many cases, all you need to do is add all ingredients to the cooker, cover, and set the temperature for low or high cooking. There is no stirring, little or no sticking, and slow cookers with separate crocks can go right in your dishwasher.
Soups are ideal for slow cooker. Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup is an easy, low calorie, hearty, high fiber vegetarian soup.
One 12 oz. serving has about 170 calories and 5 grams of fiber including the pasta. Adding pasta is optional. Substituting whole wheat pasta increases fiber.
Other Slow Cooker Recipes
- 2-14 oz. (420 ml) cans low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 14.5 oz (411 g) low sodium diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) dry white wine or water
- 2 (160 g) carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks (140 g) celery, sliced
- 1 (200 g) medium onion, diced
- 1 (200 g) bell pepper, diced
- 1 (220 g) zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 15 oz. (425 g) can great northern or other beans
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon (1 ml) fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup (110 g) uncooked elbow macaroni (optional)
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
Method of Preparation
Add all ingredients except pasta and cheese to slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover.
Cook 8 to 10 hours on low or 5 to 6 hours on high. Taste soup for desired texture after minimum cooking time. If using low setting to cook soup, set cooker on high and stir in the pasta. Cover and cook 20 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
Serve sprinkled with cheese if desired.