One-Pan 30 Minute Ground Beef or Poultry Lasagna2015-10-20
- Yield : 6 cups
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 35m
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat125
Serving Size:1 cup (8 oz, 230 g)
In about the time it takes to make ground beef lasagna from a box, you can make this easy, delicious One-Pan, 30 Minute Ground Beef or Poultry Lasagna recipe without additives like:
- Monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- Natural flavor (whatever that is)
- Partially hydrogenated soybean oil
- Artificial colors (yellow 5 & 6)
To reduce prep time:
- Make the seasoning mix in bulk (see below) and store for later use.
- Use pre-shredded mozzarella cheese.
This Recipe Compared to Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper™ Lasagna
According to the Hamburger Helper™ nutrition facts label, a 1 cup serving has 280 calories and 100 calories from fat. Although it states using lean ground beef, the instructions tell you to drain the pan after browning the beef. It you use 88% lean or leaner beef, there is little or no fat to drain. The “as packaged” sodium value is 620 mg. Milk and beef add about 70 mg of sodium per serving.
You can cut the number of calories in this recipe by reducing the amount of cheese. Hamburger Helper™ Lasagna has more MSG than dried mozzarella, and more basil than parmesan. In fact, it has more “natural flavor” than parmesan cheese. If you reduce the amount of parmesan to 1 tablespoon (15 ml) and mozzarella to 1 oz. (28 g), calories per serving drops from 345 to 300.
Seasoning Mix (Makes 8 batches)
Use 3 tsp. (15 ml) per batch without red pepper and fennel or 3 3/8 tsp. (16.9 ml) with red pepper and fennel.
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) garlic powder
- 8 tsp. (40 ml) onion powder
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) dried oregano
- 4 tsp. (20 ml) dried parsley
- 1 tsp. (0.625) dried basil
- 8 tsp. (40 ml) kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 ml) ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 ml) red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) fennel or anise seeds (optional)
Combine all ingredients and store in an air tight container.
- 1 lb. (450 g) 88% or leaner ground beef or turkey
- 8 oz. (226 g) canned tomato sauce
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) dry red wine or water
- 6 oz. (170 g) egg noodles
- 1/4 cup (20 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 oz. (85 g) low moisture mozzarella, shredded
- 4 oz. (112 g) canned sliced mushrooms, drained
- Seasoning Mix
- 1/8th teaspoon (0.625 ml) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon(5 ml) onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 g) oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried parsley
- 1/8th teaspoon(0.625 ml) dried basil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.625 ml) red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) fennel or anise seeds (optional)
Method of Preparation
In large skillet over medium heat, brown beef while breaking it apart into small pieces, about 5 minutes.
Stir in wine followed by seasoning, sauce, and water. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir in noodles. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 12 minutes or until noodles are al dente, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and stir in parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Serve.