- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 5m
- Ready In : 10m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat115
Bananas Foster is a simple, flamed desert you can make in minutes traditionally served over ice cream.
You can also serve Bananas Foster over pound cake, used as a topping for French toast, waffles or pancakes, or with other fresh fruit.
- To keep ice cream from melting too quickly, place 1/2 cup (70 g) servings in 4 dessert dishes and freeze until ready to serve.
- Read post about about flaming spirits.
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground cinnamon
- 2 medium bananas (about 7 in., 18cm long)
- 1-2 teaspoons creme de banana (optional)
- 2 oz. (30 ml) light rum
- 2 cups (320 g) vanilla ice cream
- For Apple or Pear Foster
- Replace bananas with medium apples or pears
- Omit creme de banana
Method of Preparation
Peel bananas and slice on a diagonal about 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) thick).
Melt butter in a heavy stainless steel skillet over medium low heat. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon cooking until mixture boils.
Add bananas and cook 1 to 2 minutes to heat through. Baste with the syrup to coat. Stir in creme de banana if desired.
Meanwhile heat rum in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat 50 to 60 seconds or in microwave oven proof cookware 15 to 20 seconds on high in a microwave oven. Rum must reach 125°F (52°C) to flame. Do not boil. Rum will not flame if alcohol is boiled off.
Remove bananas from heat or turn off heat if using a gas stove. Pour rum over bananas and flame using a long handle match or grill lighter. Flames will go out in a minute or two. If desired, carefully baste bananas using a long handle metal spoon until flames go out.
Serve immediately over ice cream.