Spaghettini with Ground Beef and Cherry Tomatoes2014-05-29
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 30m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat145
Serving Size:About 10 oz (285g)
Spaghettini with Ground Beef and Cherry Tomatoes is a simple, colorful pasta recipe you can make in 30 minutes or less.
Add a salad and small glass of red wine for a complete meal with about 700 calories.
Spaghetti or other long pasta can be substituted for the spaghettini.
Substitute lean ground chicken or turkey for the ground beef to reduce total fat and saturated fat.
- 8 oz. (225 g) spaghettini (thin spaghetti)
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) salt to cook pasta (optional)
- 8 oz. (225 g) lean ground beef
- 1/2 (120 g) red bell pepper, cut into thin strips about 2" long
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) fresh Italian parsley minced
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) red pepper flakes
- 6 to 8 (60 g) green onion, sliced including greens
- 4 oz. (115 g) cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 oz. (115 g) fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4-in cubes
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup (60-80 ml) pasta cooking water
Method of Preparation
Bring at least 2 qt./L of water to a rapid boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt if desired. Cook pasta per manufactures’ recommended cooking time until al dente.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown ground beef breaking it up using a wood spoon.
Reduce heat to medium and add onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, salt and red pepper flakes. Cook 1 minute. stir in green onion and cherry tomatoes. Cook, stirring 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Drain pasta and add to meat mixture. Toss lightly to combine. Add pasta water if it seems dry. Toss mozzarella with pasta. Divide among serving plates and sprinkle with cheese.