- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 30m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat70
Serving Size:12 oz. (340g)
Pasta Puttanesca refers to Italian ladies of the night.
This recipe has a simple sauce made with canned diced tomatoes, olives, anchovies and red pepper flakes. Typically made with spaghetti, you can use any pasta.
You can make and serve Pasta Puttanesca in 30 minutes or less especially when using pitted olive to reduce preparation time.
- 1 lb. (450 g) spaghetti or other long pasta
- 4 cloves (10 g) garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) red pepper flakes
- 2 oz. (56 g) canned anchovies, diced or mashed
- 2 14.5-oz (441 g) canned diced tomatoes, drained (reserve liquid)
- 2-3 tablespoons (30-45 ml) capers, rinsed
- 1/2 cup black or green Kalamata, Greek or California olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh parsley leaves, minced
Method of Preparation
In a 5-6 qt/L pot, bring 4 quarts/liters of water to a rapid boil.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil, garlic, anchovies, and red pepper flakes. Cook stirring frequently 2 to 3 minutes or until garlic is toasted but not browned.
Add the tomatoes and stir to combine. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until sauce has slightly thickened.
Add pasta to boiling water and cook per manufacturers recommended time until al dente.
Drain pasta and return to pan. Add about 1/4 cup of the reserved tomato juice and toss to coat.
When the sauce has thickened, add the olives, capers and parsley. Stir to combine
Add the pasta to the sauce or sauce to the pasta and toss or stir to coat the pasta with sauce. Add more of the remaining tomato juice if pasta seems dry. Serve immediately.