Easy Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie2015-07-06
- Yield : 8
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 60m
Puff pastry chicken pot pie has large pieces of white meat chicken and lots of vegetables in a creamy white sauce without the high calorie pie crust. A light, tender puff pastry top replaces the usually double crust pie. You get:
- More chicken and vegetables
- Less calories, fat, and sodium compared to frozen chicken pot pies
- Fewer preservatives
- No artificial flavors or colors
In about the time it takes to bake a frozen chicken pot pie, you can prepare and cook this recipe, and for a fraction of the cost.
The filling and puff pastry top can be made ahead of time. Refrigerate the filling up to 4 days. Baked puffed pastry does not require refrigeration. Seal in an airtight bag. Reheat pastry, if desired, in a 300°F oven about 5 minutes.
1. Turkey or other poultry can be substituted for the chicken.
2. Cooked poultry can be substituted for raw poultry. Add in Step 2 to reheat.
- 20 oz. (650 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (220 g) medium onion
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1.5 cups (270 g) frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup (70 g) sliced fresh mushroom or 4 oz. canned mushrooms
- 1 cup (240 ml) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) corn starch
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) water
- 1 (10.5 oz, 298 g) can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup (56 g) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup (56 g) swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Greek or natural yogurt
- 1 sheet prepared frozen puff pastry, thawed
Method of Preparation
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and sauté onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium high, add chicken, cook stirring constantly until chicken ins browned and cooked through.
Add peas, carrots, mushrooms, chicken broth, wine, parsley, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove and discard bayleaf.
Combine corn starch and cold water, and add to chicken. Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly until liquid thickens. Remove skillet from heat and stir in soup, cheeses, and yogurt.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Cut puff pastry into eight pieces. Place on baking sheet and baked about 15 minutes or until golden browned. Alternatively, you can place cut puff pastry on top of chicken filling and bake.
Divide hot chicken filling into 8 heat proof bowls and top with baked puff pastry, or place unbaked puff pastry over filling and bake at 400°F (205°C) 15 minutes until pastry is browned and filling is boiling.
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat150
Serving Size:About 8 oz. (220 g)