Taco Lettuce Wraps2016-05-05
- Yield : 6
- Servings : 3
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 25m
Taco Lettuce wraps can cut calories by up to 50 percent by replacing fried corn taco shells with low calorie, fat and sodium lettuce leaves. You can use any variety of head or leaf lettuce. Nutrition values are about the same for head and leaf lettuce. Calories for this recipe are 35 percent less than two large tacos made with fried corn tortillas.
The filling ingredients are traditional for Mexican-American tacos with the exception of shredded lettuce. Served family style, everyone can assemble their own tacos using:
- Seasoned ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey or pork)
- Shredded cheddar or other cheese
- Homemade or prepared salsa
- diced fresh tomato
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 8 oz. (225 g) lean ground beef, chicken or turkey
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) taco seasoning or 1/4 cup (60 ml) prepared tomato salsa
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 1 cup (240 g) guacamole
- 3 oz. (85 g) 0% fat Greek Yogurt
- 1 oz. (28 g) cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 small tomato, diced
Method of Preparation
In a small pan or skillet, brown beef over medium heat. While still slightly pink add taco seasoning and 1/4 cup water, Stir to combine, reduce heat to low and simmer stirring occasionally until liquid has evaporated.
Meanwhile, prepare remaining ingredients. Evenly divide ingredients between the lettuce leaves or let everyone make their own tacos. Wrap leaves around ingredients and serve.
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat205
Serving Size2 tacos