- Yield : About 1 cup
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 5m
- Ready In : 5m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat39
Serving Size2 Tbsp (30ml)
Guacamole is Aztec for avocado sauce. This basic guacamole recipe produces a creamy version similar to prepared guacamole available from most grocers.
Whether creamy or chunky (hearty), guacamole takes only minutes to prepare. This recipe requires only four ingredients:
- Ripe avoados
- Prepared salsa
- Lime juice
- Salt (optional)
Although avocados are high in fat and calories most of the fat is mono and polyunsaturated. Like eating avocado, enjoy guacamole in moderation.
- You can make creamy or chunky guacamole. The riper the avocado, the easier it is to make a creamy smooth guacamole using only a spoon or fork to mash the flesh. A small food processor reduces prep time by up to 70%.
- Prepared salsa can be high in sodium. Adjust the amount of salt to taste.
- Avocado flesh oxidizes (darken) quick when exposed to air. Lime & lemon juice slows oxidation, but does not prevent it. To further slow oxidation, place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the guacamole and press to remove as much air as possible.
- Use within 2 days or freeze.
- 2-3 ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lime or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) prepared salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation
For Chunky Guacamole
Mash the flesh to desired consistency. Add lime juice and salsa. Stir to thoroughly combine. Adjust lime juice and salsa to taste.
For Creamy Guacamole
Add all ingredients to a food processor. Mix 10 to 15 seconds or until desired consistency. Adjust lime juice, salsa, and salt to taste.
Serve guacamole immediately or cover and refrigerate to intensify the flavor.