Easy Whole Wheat Muffins2017-09-28
- Yield : 6 Large
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 50m
This recipe is based on my Easy Homemade Muffins recipe.
Substituting whole wheat pastry flour for refined white pastry or all-purpose flour increases dietary fiber from less than 1 gram per large muffin to up to 5 grams per muffin depending on the brand and type of flour used. Muffins with added fruit have 1 to 2 grams more fiber compared to plain muffins.
One large Whole Wheat Apple Muffins provide about 6 grams of dietary fiber versus zero to 1 gram for the same muffins made using refined white flour. Six grams of fiber is 25% of the USDA requirement for a 2000 calorie diet.
This recipe is also lower in calories, fat, sodium, and carbohydrates compared to commercially prepared apple muffins. Although this recipe has fat butter and oil) the fruit pieces help produce a moist muffin similar to carrot cake.
An equivalent size prepared muffin has about twice the sugar and most is added sugar. Using sweet apples reduces the need for added sugar. You can use tart cooking apples and increase the amount of sugar, or adjust the amount of sugar to taste.Super-sized warehouse muffins (6 oz., 170 g) have 40 or more grams of sugar. Forty grams equals 10 teaspoons of sugar, about the same amount of sugar in a 12 oz sugar sweetened soft drink.
- Limit mixing time. Fold the batter until the dry ingredients are moistened. This reduces gluten formation and produces more tender muffins.
- Do not over bake. Over baking drys out muffins. Check after the minimum cooking time.
- This recipe makes 6 large or 12 small muffins.
- Cooled muffins can be frozen in an air-tight freezer container 6 months or more.
- If muffins stick to paper liners, lightly spray with cooking spray before filling.
Nutrition information is for one large muffin made using reduced fat milk. For small muffins, divide by two.
For Blueberry muffins, replace apples with 6 oz. (170 g) fresh blueberries.
For banana muffins, replace apples with 1 large (6 oz., 170 g) ripe banana smashed or diced.
- 1 3/4 cup (230 g) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup (65 g) granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon (6.25 ml) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) regular or 2% (low fat) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (250 g) peeled, cored, and shredded or diced sweet apples (2 small apples)
- Vegetable cooking spray or paper liners
Method of Preparation
Place rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 400°F (290°C).
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking power, baking soda, and cinnamon.
Stir in the shredded apple. In a small bowl, combine milk, oil, and eggs. Add to dry ingredients. Stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan. Fill about two-thirds full.
Bake large muffins 16 to 20 minutes and small muffins 10 to 12 minutes, or until a wood toothpick comes out clean. Transfer muffins from pan to wire rack. Cool 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat100
Serving Size:1 Large Muffin (about 4.5 oz., 125 g)