Easy Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Muffins2015-09-10
- Yield : 12
- Servings : 12
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 35m
Easy Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe is perfect for using bananas too ripe to eat. It makes moist, slightly sweet muffins with a hint of chocolate.
Unlike store bought muffins or muffin mixes, you control the amount of sugar there are no artificial ingredients or preservatives unless you use artificial vanilla extract. You can also omit the nuts if desired.
These muffins can be made using paper muffin cups or directly in the pan. For ease of removal and cleanup I prefer using paper muffin cups. If you like muffins with out the ridges, lightly coat a unstick muffin pan with cooking spray, or grease and flour a standard muffin pan.
This recipe makes 12 small or 6 large muffins and can be doubled.
- Depending on the ripeness of your bananas, you can increase sugar from 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup. This adds 15 calories to a large muffin and 8 calories to small muffins.
- You can reduce chocolate chips if desired. Reducing chocolate chips by 1/2 saves about 10 calories per small muffin (20 per large muffin).
- Oven temperatures vary. Adjust baking time to your oven. Check after minimum baking time. Over baked muffins will be drier and tougher.
- If your all-purpose flour results in dense muffins, substitute homemade pastry flour made using all-purpose and cake flour. Click on the link below for the recipe.
- 1 3/4 cups (240 g) pastry or all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (70 g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 ripe medium (100 g) banana, mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) reduced fat milk
- 1/4 cup (45 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup (25 g) chopped walnuts (optional)
Method of Preparation
Place rack in middle of oven, and preheat to 400° (205°C).
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. Stir in mashed banana and, if desired, walnuts. Make a well in the center.
In a small bowl or measuring cup. Stir oil and milk, using a fork, until combined. Stir in the egg. Add liquid to dry ingredients stirring with a spoon until flour is moistened. Do not over mix.
Bake 15 to 17 minutes for small muffins and 20 to 25 minutes for large muffins or until a wood toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes and remove muffins from pan.
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat140
Serving Size:1 large muffin