Butternut Squash Soup2014-02-22
- Yield : About 5 cups
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 1:30 h
- Ready In : 2:0 h
Butternut Squash Soup is slightly spicy, creamy, and a good source of dietary fiber (4 g per 9 oz. serving). One serving has about 150 calories. For added flavor, this recipe is made using oven roasted butternut squash.
To simplify prep and cleanup you can dice the squash and simmer it with the other ingredients until very soft. This also provides a milder flavor.
- Any winter squash including pumpkin can be substitute, If you don’t have butternut squash.
- Substitute 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger for fresh ginger. The flavor is not as intense and you can adjust the amount to taste.
- Vegetable or chicken stock can be used for all or part of the water.
For a creamier soup and added protein without adding a lot of calories, add a dollop of Greek Yogurt.
- 2 lb. (1000 g) butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 (120 g) small onion or 2 large leeks
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) fresh ginger root, chopped
- 2 cups (480 ml) low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt to taste
Method of Preparation
Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
Line a small baked sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat with cook spray. Cut squash in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Place face down on baking sheet and roast 1 hour or until easily pierced with a fork or knife. Remove from oven and cool about 20 minutes.
In a heavy saucepan oven medium-low heat, heat oil and butter. Add onion and ginger and cook, stirring, until onion is tender but not browned about 5 to 10 minutes.
Stir in the cooked squash, broth and 2 cups of water. Bring to a simmer and cook about 20 minutes stirring to break up the squash. Use the back of a wood spoon to mash the squash against the side of the pan. Season to taste with salt.
Puree the soup using a blender or stick blender. When using a blender, never fill more than half full and use a towel to hold the cover in place to prevent spills and burns.
Add remaining cup of water or stock, if desired, and heat, if necessary, until hot.Adjust seasoning if necessary.
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat50
Serving Size:9 oz. (255g)