Broiled Fish Fillets2012-08-30
- Servings : 2
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 20m
Fresh fish is low in calories, saturated fat, and sodium. Broiled fish fillets takes only minutes to prepare and cook, and has a fraction of the calories of deep-fried fish.
A broiled fish dinner can provide less calories than an 8-oz steak without side dishes. Replace red meat with fish can help you lose weight or maintain your weight.
Nutrition information varies depending on the type of fish. Cod is very lean but low in Omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon is high in Omega-3’s but up to half the calories is from fat.
Fish is also a good source of complete protein. A 4-oz. (precooked weight) serving of tilapia provides 23 grams of protein and 110 calories. Many protein bars provide about 10 grams of protein for 200 calories and uses have more refined sugar than protein.
- Fish fillets are cooked when they flake easily with a fork. Overcooking dries out the fillets. Check after the minimum cooking time to prevent overcooking.
- Seasoning your fish fillets can be as simple as salt & pepper or you can add any of your favorite herbs & spices. For heat, add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Two 4 to 6 oz. (115-170 g) fish fillets (salmon, tuna, cod, trout, haddock)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Fresh ground black or white pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
- Italian parsley minced
- Nonstick cooking spray (optional)
Method of Preparation
Place oven rack about 4 inches from the broiling element. Set oven on broil.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray.
Arrange fish on the coated foil and season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. If desired sprinkle with parsley.
Place pan under broiler, and broil 6 to 8 minutes for fish up to 1/2-inch thick and 8 to 10 minutes for fish up to 1-inch thick. Turn thick fish fillets half way thought the cooking time. Broil until cooked through and fish easily flakes using a fork.
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat30-150
Serving Size4 oz (115g)