Mild Yellow Shrimp Curry2013-06-15
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 55m
This information is per serving.
Calories from FAt127
Curries originated in the Indian sub-continent. Like most hot to spicy foods, curries retarded spoilage and covered the off-flavors of ingredients.
Curries can be mild or very hot depending on the amount and type of chilis used.
Mild Yellow Shrimp Curry is a mild curry that is ideal for shrimp, other mild seafood like scallops and white fish, or can substitute chicken for the shrimp.
If raw chicken pieces are substituted for shrimp, increasing cooking time to 15 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked through.
Serve Mild Yellow Curry with vegetable pilau.
This recipe and method of preparation is similar to Green Chicken or Fish Curry.
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) groung turmeric or pinch of saffron
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) lemon or lime juice
- 1 lb. (450 g) large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup (25 g) unsalted cashews
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mll) kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mll) curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mll) garam marsala (optional)
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) cold water
- 6 oz. (175 ml) natural or Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) fresh cilantro or parsley, minced
Method of Preparation
In a medium bowl, mix turmeric, lemon juice and pinch of salt. Add shrimp, stir to coat, cover and marinate about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, add onion, bell pepper, garlic, cashews, fennel seeds and coconut to a food processor bowl and process until it forms a paste.
In a large skillet or wok over medium heat, heat the oil and fry cumin seeds 1 to 2 minutes. Add the paste and cook about 5 minutes. Reduce heat if necessary.
Add coriander, cumin, salt, curry powder and garam marsala. Cook 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and stir in water and yogurt. Cook 5 minutes.
Stir in the shrimp, increase heat to medium and bring to a slow boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook shrimp 6 to 8 minutes or until cooked trough. Do not overcook shrimp.