- Yield : About 5 cups
- Servings : 5
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 55m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat55
Serving Size:1 cup (175 g)
Vegetable Pilau is a simple, spicy, reduced sodium Indian rice dish that combines rice with vegetables and herbs that compliments meat, fish and poultry. Add or substitute your favorite vegetables like diced zucchini, eggplant, cauliflower or broccoli.
When using brown rice, Increase cooking time to 30 to 35 minutes.
- 1 cup (200 g) basmati (white or brown) or converted rice
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) vegetable or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) cumin seeds
- 2 fresh or dry bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 (200g) small to medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz. (225 g) frozen mixed vegetables (peas, corn, green beans, carrots) or equivalent fresh vegetables (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups (480 ml) cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) Kosher salt
Method of Preparation
Wash rice in several changes of water or rinse using cold water until water runs clear. Place rice in a bowl and cover with cold water. Soak 20 to 30 minutes.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil 1 to 2 minutes and add cumin seeds. Fry about 2 minutes. Add bay leaves and cloves and fry 1 to 2 minutes.
Add onion and fry 5 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
If you are using a fresh carrot, add to skillet and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
Drain rice and add to skillet along with the frozen vegetables. Stir to combine, add water, cumin and salt. Stir and bring to a boil.
Cover skillet, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
Remove from heat and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff and serve.