Easy Homemade Ginger Ale2014-11-14
- Yield : 2 liters
- Servings : 5.5
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 4m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat0
Protein12 oz. (355 ml)
Most commercially produced ginger ale’s are high in sugar and low in ginger and ginger flavor if they contain any real ginger at all. One national brand sold in the United States prominently states it is “Made from Real Ginger” on the front label.
But just below made from real ginger is 100% natural flavors. Natural flavor is a popular substitute for artificial flavor.
What most people don’t realize is that natural flavors are made using many of the same chemical methods used to make artificial flavors. The only difference is that the source of the natural flavor is natural and not man made. One reason natural flavors are used instead of real ginger and other flavors is there longer shelf life. What other flavors are used is known only to the manufacturer.
Easy Homemade Ginger Ale is made using fresh ginger root. The process is similar to making Ginger Tea, with the addition of a simple sugar based syrup and club soda for carbonation.
Fresh Ginger Root
Peeled & Sliced Fresh Ginger Root
Ginger Tea has no added sugar and no calories compared Ginger Ale while providing all the health benefits of ginger. You can reduce the amount of sugar to 1.5 cups or less for a reduced calorie ginger ale.
- Depending on the freshness and quality of your ginger, it may take some experimentation to adjust the amount of ginger to your taste. If the flavor is too strong, you can dilute your Ginger Ale with club soda, use less ginger, or reduce the cooking and cooling times.
- You can make any size serving by combining 1 part sweetened ginger water to 1 part club soda. For a six ounce serving use 3 ounces of ginger water and 3 ounces of club soda.
- 1/4 cup (30 g) fresh ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced (adjust to taste)
- 4 cups (700 ml) water
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 4 1/4 cups (1000 ml) club soda
- Fresh lemon or lime juice (optional)
Method of Preparation
Placed sliced ginger and water in a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool about 10 minutes. Strain into a heat proof measuring cup or bowl and discard ginger.
Stir the sugar into the warm ginger flavored water. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
To serve, add the sweetened ginger water and club soda in a large pitcher and stir to combine. Serve immediately. To make a 12 oz. serving, combine 6 oz. (180 ml) of sweetened ginger water with 6 oz. (180 ml) club soda.
Stir a little lemon or lime juice into each glass when serving if desired.