Deluxe Chicken or Turkey Pie2013-04-27
- Cuisine: American, European
- Course: Entree
- Skill Level: Easy to Moderate
- Yield : 1 pie
- Servings : 10
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 1:30 h
- Ready In : 2:30 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat270
Serving Size:About 12 oz. (340 g)
Don’t let the long list of ingredients for Deluxe Chicken or Turkey Pie intimidate you. About half are herbs and spices and all ingredients are natural not dozens of chemical additives and preservative like most frozen pot pies.
Deluxe Chicken or Turkey Pie is perfect for leftover dark turkey meat that no one wants to eat, and after you taste it you may never buy another frozen pot pie again.
There is no rule pot pies must have two crusts like an apple pie. The crisp, flakey crust provides about have the calories and most of the sat calories. Making a one crust pie reduces the number of calories from 600 to about 430 calories and saturated fat from 14 to 10 grams per serving.
You can reduce the number of calories even more by spooning the filling into individual ramekins or other heat proof dishes and top with crisp puff pastry.
- 6 (1500 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes (about 2 lbs. cooked meat)
- 1 (200 g) medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter or olive oil
- 4 fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 (200 g) carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup (130 g) fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup (240 ml) low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried chopped chives
- 1/4 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 teaspoon (20 ml) cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) cold water
- 10 1/2 oz. (305 g) reduced sodium cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup (56 g) shredded Swiss or Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup (56 g) shredded mild or sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Pastry for double crust pie
Method of Preparation
In a large, deep skillet over medium heat, heat oil and sauté chicken and onion about 5 minutes. If you are using cooked poultry, add poultry after sautéing onions.
Stir in seasonings. Add mushrooms, carrots, peas, broth, and wine. Stir, cover skillet, and simmer 10 minutes.
On low heat, stir in yogurt and soup. Combine corn starch and cold water stirring until thoroughly blended. Add to skillet and cook over low heat 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture thickens.
Turn off heat. Remove and discard bay leaf. Stir in the three cheeses. Cover and set aside.
Place oven rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C) and make the pie crust. Pie crust can be prepared prior to cooking the filling.
On a lightly floured surface or between two sheets of parchment or waxed paper, roll out 2/3's of the pastry dough about 1/8th inch thigh to line a 2 1/2 to 3 qt. (liter) baking dish.
Roll out the remaining dough 1/8th inch thick and use a pastry wheel or pizza cutter to cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) strips to form lattice crust top.
Spoon filling into the prepared bottom crust. Moisten edge of pastry if required and arrange the strips to form a lattice crust. Trim edges and seal.
Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is light brown. Cool on wire rack 10 to 15 minutes and serve.