Chorizo, Yam & Winter Squash Enchilada Casserole2014-03-08
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 1:10 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat150
Serving Size:8 oz. (230g)
Chorizo, Yam & Winter Squash Enchilada Casserole is a simple casserole using homemade or prepared chorizo sausage, yams, and butternut squash.
Pumpkin, other winter squash, or yams can be substituted for butternut squash.
The low calories and high fiber of Chorizo, Yam & Winter Squash Enchilada Casserole can come at the cost of high sodium when using canned enchilada sauce. Use low sodium sauces if available, substitute homemade red or green sauce, or thin a 16 oz. can of sauce with water or low sodium chicken broth.
Some of the sodium is offset by high potassium yams and butternut squash.
- When using link chorizo, remove and discard casing.
- The number of layers will vary depending on the size and depth of your baking dish. You may get less or more layers.
- You can prepare this recipe a day or two in advance and reheat in your oven or microwave oven prior to serving. Refrigerating after baking produces a firm casserole that retains its shape when cut and served.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 28 oz. (793 g) can red or green chili enchilada sauce
- 6 oz. (170 g) homemade or prepared chorizo sausage
- 6 to 8 green onions, thinly sliced including part of the greens
- 8 oz. (225 g) cooked yams
- 8 oz. (225 g) cooked butternut squash
- 6 oz. (140 g) monterey jack cheese
Method of Preparation
To cook yams and squash; peel, remove seeds from squash and cut both into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. In a medium pot, bring enough water to a boil over medium high heat to cover yams and squash. Add to boiling water, let water return to a boil and cook 20 to 25 minutes or until soft enough to easily mash.
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chorizo breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks until cooked through. Add green onions and cook about 1 minute. Reduce heat if needed to prevent burning.
Drain cooked yams and squash and add to sausage. Use back of a large wood spoon to mash and combine with the sausage. Remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
In a 2.5 qt./2.3 l baking dish, cover the bottom with a thin layer of sauce. Line with 3 tortillas (cut or tear tortillas in half if necessary to minimize overlap. Spoon one-third of the sausage mixture over the tortillas, sprinkle one-forth of the cheese and sauce. Repeat for the second and third layers. Cover with last 3 tortillas, rest of the sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with lid or aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes or until sauce boils. Cool 10 minutes and serve.