- Yield : About 4 dozen
- Servings : 24
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 60m
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat35
Serving Size:2 cookies
Lemon Cookies are easy, chewy, cookies bursting with real lemon flavor not lemon extract.
You can adding lemony, hard royal icing or omit the icing and save about 16 calories 1 teaspoon of added sugar per cookie.
Add more or less lemon zest depending on your taste.
- 8 oz. (225 g) butter or margarine
- 1 1/3 cups (250 g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon, grated (about 1 tbsp., 15 ml)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) baking powder
- 2.25 cups (300 g) all-purpose flour
- Lemon Royal Icing
- 1.5 cups (150 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) meringue powder
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) warm water (100° to 110°F)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
Method of Preparation
In a large bowl using a hand mixer or stand mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until well combined.
Add lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Mix until zest is uniformly incorporated into the mixture.
Combine flour and baking powder using a fork or whisk. Add flour mixture to and beat until well combined, but do not over mix.
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) .
Coat 3 12x18 inch baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
Roll dough into 1-inch (25 mm) balls and place 2 inches (50 mm) apart on baking sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Remove cookies from oven, let cool 2 to 3 minutes on baking sheets and then transfer to wire racks.
Combined all ingredients for Royal icing in a medium bowl and beat on high speed until it forms stiff peaks. Cover bowl with a damp paper towel to prevent icing from drying out. Frost cooled cookies and allow icing to dry completely.