Easy Spanish Rice2013-04-03
- Yield : 4 cups
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 35m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat15
Serving Size:1/2 cup (130g)
Tomato infused Spanish Rice is usually served with Mexican food. Like most recipes there are dozens of varieties from simple to complex Spanish Rice. Use this recipe as a baseline and modify ingredients to your taste.
- When using stewed tomatoes, chop into bite size pieces using a blender or stick blender.
- To Spanish Rice prevent becoming sticky rice, do not remove lid and stir the rice until liquid is absorbed. You may have to adjust the amount of liquid and cooking time for your brand of rice.
- Long grain rice works best for Spanish Rice. For firm, separate grains, use converted (par-boiled) rice.
- 15 oz. (411 g) canned diced or stewed low sodium tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups (260 g) long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (100 g) onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) cumin
Method of Preparation
In a medium sauce pan heat oil over medium heat and sauté onion about 5 minutes or until soft.
Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is done. Rice should be al dente.