Basic Yellow Cake2015-09-02
- Servings : 16
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 60m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat115
Serving Size:About 2.5 oz. (70 g) 1/16th recipe
A simple butter based yellow cake recipe for single and multiple layer cakes, Boston Cream Cale/Pie, and cupcakes that takes only minutes to make.
Margarine can be substituted to reduce saturated fat content.
You can use any pure extract can be used for this recipe; vanilla, lemon, almond, orange. Avoid artificial flavors if possible.
Preparing Cake Pans
1. Grease and Flour
Lightly grease cans using shortening or butter and dust with cake or all-purpose flour.
2. Line With Parchment Paper
Line bottom of pans with circle or square of parchment paper. Lining the sides is optional.
Grease and flour or line with baking cups.
Cake Making Tips
To avoid dense, dry cakes follow these tips:
- Have all ingredients at cool room temperature (about 65°-70°F).
- Do not over mix the batter.
- Do not over bake. Oven temperatures very. Check for doneness after minimum baking time. A cake tester or wood toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean with a few crumbs and no unbaked batter.
- 8 oz. (225 g) butter or margarine
- 1.5 cups (300 g) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups (300 g) sifted cake flour
- 2.5 teaspoons (12.5 ml) baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml ) pure vanilla or lemon extract or 1 teaspoons (5 ml) each vanilla and almond extracts
Method of Preparation
For best results have all ingredients at cool room temperature. Sift flour before measuring. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder using a whisk or spoon.
In a large bowl, beat butter at medium speed until creamy and gradually add sugar beating 1 to 2 minutes after adding the sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until thoroughly combined.
Add flour, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Mix at low speed after each addition only until blended. Stir in desired flavorings.
Pour or spoon batter into prepared cake pans or cupcake pans. Fill cupcake pan about two-thirds full.
Bake 9-inch cake 20 to 23 minutes, 9x13 cake 28 to 30 minutes, and cupcakes 15 to 18 minutes or until a wood toothpick inserted in the enter comes out clean.
Cool in layer cakes in pans on wire racks about 10 minutes before removing from pans. Cool cupcakes in pans about 5 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely. Frost if desired.