Quinoa And Garbanzo Tabbouleh2015-12-22
- Cuisine: Middel Eastern
- Course: Salad, Side Dish
- Skill Level: Easy
- Yield : About 9 cups
- Servings : 9
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 4:00 h
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat75
Serving Size:1 cup (about 6-oz., 165 g)
Quinoa and Garbanzo Tabbouleh is a Middle Eastern inspired vegetarian salad or side dish that goes well with foods ranging from stuffed bell peppers to BBQ (barbecue). A 1-cup (about 160 g) serving has 200 calories, 1 gram of saturated fat, no cholesterol, 195 mg of sodium, 4 grams of fiber, and 5 grams of protein.
Traditional tabbouleh’s have lots of fresh parsley and diced fresh tomatoes. You can add more parsley if desired. Fresh tomatoes deteriorate rapidly when refrigerated. So, if you add tomatoes, use the tabbouleh within a day or two. Otherwise, you can refrigerate it up to 5 days.
This is a great recipe for leftover quinoa.
There is no limit to the number variations to this recipe. Some suggested additions and substitutions:
- Canned kidney beans
- Green or Mediterranean olives
- Green, yellow, or orange bell peppers
- 1 cup (160 g) uncooked quinoa
- 15-oz. (425 g) canned organic or low sodium garbanzo beans
- 1/3 cup (90 g) marinated artichoke hearts, sliced
- 1/3 cup (50 g) sliced olives (green, black, Greek, Mediterranean)
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced thin including part of the greens
- 1/4 cup (30 g) red or sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 (80 g) red or yellow bell pepper, diced or sliced thin
- 1 (225 g) cucumber, deseeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh basil, minced
- Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) red wine vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoon (30-45 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) honey
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) course ground or Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste, optional
- 1 tsp. (5ml) dried dill
- 3 tablespoon (45 ml) extra virgin olive oil
Method of Preparation
Cook quinoa per package directions and refrigerate until cold. Quinoa can be refrigerated overnight.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and then stir in the cold quinoa.
In a small bowl, whisk or stir all ingredients except oil. Whisk in the oil.
Stir dressing to coat the ingredients. Serve or refrigerate.