Stir Fried Shrimp and Broccoli2013-02-12
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 25m
Many Americans associate Chinese-American restaurant meals as a health alternative to standard American cuisines. Unless you choose wisely, Chinese restaurant meals can have as many calories as a steak dinner or fast food meal.
Stir Fried Shrimp and Broccoli is a simple, quick, nutritious, and delicious combination of fresh shrimp, broccoli, bamboo shoots, tofu, and mushrooms.
Stir frying is fast. Once the oil is up to temperature, it takes less about 10 minutes to cook and serve. Since cooking time is so fast, and usually at high temperature, have all ingredients ready before you start cooking.
If you do not like tofu (bean curd) or are allergic to soy, you can omit it or increase the amount of shrimp and broccoli.
- Omit hot sauce or replace with red pepper flakes to taste.
- Substitute thawed frozen broccoli for fresh broccoli.
- For softer broccoli, stir fry 2-3 minutes and then add the shrimp.
- 1 lb. (450g) raw large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 to 6 oz. (115-180g) firm bean curd (tofu)
- 8 oz. (225g) fresh broccoli
- 8 oz. (235g) fresh or 4 oz. canned whole or sliced mushrooms, white or crimini
- 1 can (225g) sliced bamboo shoots
- 1 tablespoon (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (240 ml) cold chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) granulated sugar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) fresh ginger root, peeled and grated or sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ( 2.5 ml) Chinese hot sauce (sambal oelek or equivalent)
- 1/8 teaspoon (1 ml) ground black or white pepper
Method of Preparation
Rinse broccoli and cut into bite size pieces.
Slice bean curb into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes.
In a small bowl, combine broth, cornstarch, sugar, ginger root, hot sauce, and pepper.
Heat oil in wok or large skillet over high heat until it shimmers. Add bean curb and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides.
Add mushrooms and stir fry 1 to 2 minutes.
Add shrimp. Stir fry 2 to 3 minutes or until opaque but tender. Do not overcook.
Add broccoli pieces and bamboo shoots. Stir fry 1 minute.
Stir liquid ingredients until well combined and pour over the shrimp and vegetables. Cook, stirring until liquid boils and thickens (1 to 2 minutes). Serve immediately.
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat50