- Yield : About 2 cups
- Servings : 16
- Prep Time : 10m
- Ready In : 40m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat43
Serving Size:2 tablespoons (30ml)
Hummus is Arabic for chickpeas. At it’s simplest, it is a puree of garbanzo beans (cici, chickpeas), tahini a sesame seed paste, oil, and spices.
Hummus is nutritious, providing 3 grams of fiber per 2 tablespoon (30 ml) serving. This basic homemade hummus recipe can be prepared dozens of ways by adding additional ingredients like roasted bell peppers, spinach, and artichoke hearts.
Serve your homemade hummus with fresh homemade pita chips.
Hummus can be made in advanced and refrigerated up to three days.
2 cups cooked dry garbanzo beans for canned beans.
- 1 - 15oz (455 g) can low sodium garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 3/4 teaspoon (4 ml) Kosher salt
- Pince of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
Method of Preparation
Place all ingredients in a food processor and process 40 to 60 seconds or until smooth. Hummus will be a little thin and will thicken during refrigeration.
Transfer hummus to a serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes to intensify the flavors.
Roasted Bell Pepper - add 1/2 pepper or to taste
Spinach - add 1/4 to 1/2 cup well drained cooked spinach