Aloo Saag Italiano2012-10-24
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 60m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat18
Aloo Saag is a vegetarian East Indian recipe of spinach and potatoes. This low calorie version adds yellow summer squash for additional color. You can substitute zucchini for the yellow squash.
Adjust the ratio of potatoes, spinach, and squash to your taste.
- 1 lb. (450 g) fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) black mustard seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1 onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 inch (2.5 cm) piece fresh ginger root finely chopped
- 1 - 1 1/2 lbs. (450 - 800 g) red or yellow potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow summer squash or zucchini sliced about 1/8th to 1/4 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) white wine or water
Method of Preparation
Steam or cook the spinach until tender. Cool and squeeze out any water.
Heat the oil and mustard seeds over medium in a heavy pan or skillet about 2 minutes or until the seeds sputter and pop.
Add the onion, garlic and ginger and saute about 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add the potatoes and zucchini. Stir to combine. Add the the chilli powder and salt. Stir to thoroughly combine. Add the wine or water and stir-fry 8 to 10 minutes.
Add the drained spinach. Stir to combine, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.